How much does it cost to build a patio?
A patio can provide a central location for outdoor relaxation and recreation. There are numerous options for style, materials, and sizes when planning a patio installation.
Typical Patio Installation Costs
- Stone, concrete, or brick patio installation: The average cost for building a patio ranges from $400 to $10,000, depending upon the size of the patio and type of material used.
- Wood patio installation: A professional carpenter will charge approximately $25 to $35 per hour for an average-sized wooden patio.
- Flagstone patios: The typical cost for a flagstone patio installation is $15-$25 per square foot.
Low-End Estimate for Patio Installation
For a do-it-yourself brick patio: About $1,000. DIYNetwork estimates
a do-it-yourself flagstone patio project will cost $200 - $500, take a weekend to finish and rates the difficulty at Easy to Moderate
High-End Estimate for Brick Patio Installation
For a professionally installed brick patio: About $2,500-$5,000.
What to Expect
- Materials: Building material options for patios include brick, stone, and concrete. In addition to these components, you'll need a wide range of tools, depending on the style and materials used in your patio.
- Timing: The time required to complete a patio installation project varies based upon the size and style of the patio. These projects will typically take several days.
- Mess: Most patio installation projects require the displacement of soil and other landscaping elements. Since there can be a significant volume of mess, cleanup time should be included in the installation plan.
- When planning a patio installation project, it's important to take related costs into consideration. Once the patio is complete, you might want to purchase furniture, plants, canopies, grills, and other accessories.
- If you plan to hire a professional contractor to install your patio, be sure to obtain several quotes and compare prices. Contractors should also provide proof of licensing and bonding.
Enjoy this article? Sign up for our free newsletters: