Are you hoping to shed some pounds? Which weight loss option is best for you?
- Dance: Whether it is ballet infused, ballroom style or Latin-influenced dance classes, dance programs are all the rage around Atlanta. Some types of classes are more high energy, while others require more skill and poise. Goals: burn calories, improve movement and balance and increase stamina.
- Boot Camp: There are lots of fitness boot camps throughout the city, with many holding sessions in local parks. These are intense, instructor motivated workouts geared toward getting you in shape fast. Goals: lose fat, increase strength and improve stamina.
- Weight Loss Camp: This kind of camp promotes weight loss by combining fitness with a diet program to help attendees lose the weight quickly. Adult weight loss camps teach the basics of a healthy lifestyle. Do you have a busy lifestyle and cannot do an extended visit camp? Don't worry. There are day camp options. Goals: weight loss re-education both through diet and exercise.
- Personal Trainers: A personal trainer will give you one-on-one training and design a program based on your weight loss goals and physical needs. This is a highly personalized work out, and you will learn proper technique as the trainer supervises you. Goals: varies based on your needs and your trainer's program designed for you.
- Yoga: Yoga has varying fitness levels depending on the type you practice. Power yoga burns more calories and gets your heart rate going. Ashtanga yoga helps reduce stress. Goals: stress reduction, joint and pain relief, strength building, and increased flexibility.
- Pilates: this is a mild cardio workout, at least for beginners. Combine it with a cardio program to maximize calorie burn. It focuses on core strengthening, involving your abdominal and back muscles, which support the rest of your body frame. Goals: core strength and improved posture.
- Spinning: These classes are aerobics style classes conducted entirely on an exercise bike. This is an instructor-led, high-energy class that is adjustable to your fitness level by changing the bike's resistance. Goals: muscle tone, cardio fit, and calorie burn.
- Technology Workout: There are a number of these programs rising in popularity for people who own gaming consoles and tablet PCs. These instructional programs offer the convenience of working out at home. There are dance, aerobics and general fitness versions that come with various skill levels and can track calorie loss. Goals: increasing activity, burning calories.
- Protein Diet: This is a high-protein, low-calorie approach to weight loss. This is usually supervised by a program provider who can also give appetite suppressant medications to help ease you in and reduce the effects of feeling hungry. Weight loss occurs quickly; however, exercise is not advised during the first stages due to a low-calorie diet. These programs claim to allow you to burn fat reserves while avoiding muscle loss because of the high levels of protein. Goal: rapid weight loss with muscle preservation.
- Meal Plans: These are diet plans designed by nutritionists that are within a calorie range to allow you to lose weight by adjusting your diet and avoiding excess calories. Also, they do weekly weigh-ins to keep you on track and motivated. Goal: re-education on healthy eating and weight loss.
Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgeries are invasive and thus, permanent weight loss solutions. These are options best left for extreme cases or when other ones fail to give sufficient or desired results. There are many Atlanta area physicians experienced in performing these kinds of surgeries. Although, there are several different kinds of weight loss surgeries, they fall into two fundamental categories:
- Restrictive weight loss: This is where the stomach is surgically made smaller, through various techniques, so that you are not able to eat as much food while feeling full more quickly as well. Goal: rapid and sustained weight loss.
- Combined Restrictive/Malabsorptive: This type of surgery not only restricts food intake, but it also affects calorie and nutrient absorption. This involves making the stomach smaller, as well as either removing or bypassing parts of the digestive tract. Goal: rapid and sustained weight loss.
Keep in mind, there is no single weight loss option that works for everyone, equally. Weight loss is highly personalized, and you need to consider what you want to achieve when making your choice. It is important to make safe choices based on your personal medical history. Also, remember that it's best to consult with your healthcare provider before choosing a weight loss or fitness approach.