The summer is almost over and you are now transitioning your Atlanta home for the coming cooler fall and winter months. Thinking about heating in Atlanta during the hot summer may seem abnormal, but you want to make sure you are prepared should a cold winter ensue.
Check your furnace, water heater and thermostat to make sure each appliance is working. If you notice that the system is causing something not to work, take care of it right away. A problem like this can become frustrating and costly, especially if you don't answer these three questions for yourself:
- Why do you need to purchase or update the heating system?
- How do you look for the right system and/or technician?
- What should you expect when you're ready purchase?
Once you answer these questions, you can start the process of looking for a new heating system.
Why do you need to purchase or update the heating system?
You know your heating system is not working properly, but try to understand what might be causing the problem first. That will make a difference in the type of work that needs to be done and the price it will cost. So before you pick up the phone to call a contractor, reassure yourself by doing these two things:
- Check your unit again and then decide if you need a brand new unit or just maintenance on your current one.
- Determine if the problem will affect the whole house or just one area.
You want to know this information before you start your research because it will help you ask the right questions. Once you figure out what you need and why you need it, what happens next?
How do you look for the right system and/or technician?
Look on Kudzu for additional heating and cooling contractor recommendations as well as customer reviews that relate to heating in Atlanta. It's good to have at least three possible companies to choose from because you want to compare their prices and services to see what it best for you. Some things you can compare to help make your decision include the following:
- The customer service you receive
- Did they answer all of your questions with confidence?
- Were they knowledgeable?
- Were they professional?
- The estimated price
- The time it will take for the technician to arrive
Once you've found a local company you want to use, how will you pay for the service? Buying a new HVAC unit or having work done can get very pricey, and you want to be financially prepared.
What should you expect when you're ready to buy?
If you're looking for a new heating system in the summer, you have time to save and then pay in full. If you notice a problem when you are ready to start using your heating system, you may have to unexpectedly come out of pocket or use a credit card if you are not prepared for a new unit or maintenance. Every heating system has a lifespan, so make sure you know how old your system is so that your wallet won't take a surprise hit.
If you are purchasing a new system, you can find one at stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's, and they also provide the installation service. A local HVAC company can also order your new system and have its maintenance technicians install it for you.
A good and reliable maintenance technician will first check your unit to see if there are any fixable options that don't require purchasing a new unit. If you do have to buy a new unit, the technician will tell you the right size you need, the best brand for you and an affordable price. Your technician should also make sure your system is in compliance with local regulations.
Installing a new heating system or fixing the current one involves more than looking up the first company you find and having them help you. You want to make sure your installation or service is successful so that replacing the system does not become a yearly occurrence.
- Call your electricity and power provider to see at what temperature they recommend setting the thermostat. This helps save money on your monthly bill and will still keep you warm!
- Keep the name and contact information from the HVAC technician in case there is a need for a return visit or for the next time you need service. It will save time once you already know the service you will be receiving.