Professional tips: How to save money on your energy bill this winter
Save money by making your Atlanta home more energy efficient this winter.
By Angela Tague
Make your home more energy efficient and save cash. The pros at R.S. Andrews Services, Inc. in Atlanta recently shared a few insider tips on how to save money on your next energy bill while keeping your home cozy this winter.
1. Lower the temperature on your hot water heater. A standard setting is approximately 130 degrees Fahrenheit. But, you'll be plenty warm in the shower if your water heater is set to 110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Twenty-five percent of a typical household energy bill comes from the energy used to heat water.
2. Decrease your thermostat setting. An indoor temperature of 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit feels comfortable to most people. So, try dialing your thermostat back a few degrees.
"That maybe saves about 4 percent (on your energy bill) per degree," Ralph Brooke, Operations Manager at R.S. Andrews Services, Inc., explained.
He also recommends considering a programmable thermostat, which allows homeowners to control specifically when and where heat is distributed in the home.
3. Use a water heater blanket. This insulating device reduces energy loss from the water heater. Water heater blankets are readily available at home improvement stores.
4. Close crawl space air vents in the winter. Brooke explained this keeps lingering cold air from creeping into your home, which can make your heating system work harder.
5. Block drafts from the attic. "If you have attic stairs, they make what's called an attic stair vent. It keeps the cold air from coming down in the winter time and the hot air in the summer time," Brooke noted.
Need some help completing these home improvement tasks? Give the crew at R.S. Andrews Services, Inc. a call. They can also do a pre-winter inspection to help you learn how to save money on your energy bill and make sure your heating system is in tip top shape for the season.
Home | Help | About Us | Careers | Blog | Visitor Agreement | Privacy | List Your Business | Contact Us | Business Success Center | Digital Solutions | Advertise
©2013 Cox Search, Inc. All rights reserved. Data provided in part by Localeze and Valpak.