Six ways body wraps can help your skin
Body Wraps Atlanta
By Heather Johnson
Body wraps can be a relaxing way to help your skin. It feels great and often uses all natural products. However, claims that they can help you shed pounds, banish cellulite and detox your body aren't scientifically supported. Be careful when you go to the spa, and avoid locations that make these claims.
The right body wrap can improve the skin all over your body. When you head to a spa for a body wrap, your skin will first be washed and exfoliated. You will then be covered with a substance proven to help rejuvenate skin, such as clay or mud. The material will then be wrapped in hot towels or plastic. The types of wraps that can improve your skin include:
- A clay or mud wrap. Great for acne, blackheads, whiteheads or other blemishes on your chest, upper arms, neck and back. The mud or clay cleanses the skin by pulling out impurities from the pores.
- An aromatherapy oil wrap. Perfect for dry or itchy skin because the oils are hydrating.
- A paraffin wrap. Paraffin locks in moisture and softens rough callouses, so it's fantastic for rough or dry skin on your hands, feet and other parts of your body.
- An oatmeal chamomile wrap. As anyone who has suffered from poison ivy or oak rash can testify, the combination of oatmeal and chamomile soothes irritated skin.
- A seaweed wrap. Seaweed mixed with mud can remove impurities from the skin. Seaweed also helps moisturize dry skin.
- A chocolate wrap. The texture of chocolate gently exfoliates the top layer of dead skin cells, leaving your skin looking and feeling healthier. The caffeine in chocolate also helps tone skin.
Body wrap warnings
- Check with your doctor before using an herbal body wrap if you take any medicine. The herbal ingredients may interfere with your prescription medications.
- Do not use body wraps if you suffer from hypertension, heart conditions or diabetes. The heat and pressure from the body wrap can worsen your health problems.
- Talk to your doctor before using a body wrap if you suffer from eczema, psoriasis or another skin condition. The ingredients in the body wrap may irritate your skin.
- Do not use body wraps to lose weight, eliminate cellulite or detox your body. A body wrap cannot accomplish any of these goals. Body wraps can improve only the look and feel of your skin.
Consult an Atlanta-area dermatologist for a thorough evaluation of your skin. Depending on your skincare needs, a body wrap may be the procedure for you.
Enjoy this article? Sign up for our free newsletters: