Sometimes out of sight is out of mind, which is not a good thing when it comes to the cleanliness of your fridge. People tend to open the doors only when they need to eat or drink. But there are a few things you can do to keep your fridge looking immaculate as well as encourage food safety.
Keeping your food safe
- Store defrosting meat, fish or poultry on the bottom shelf. Place them in a rimmed plate to avoid spills over other groceries and shelves.
- Do not store dairy containers and jugs on the door shelves. Keep them on shelves inside. Every time you open the fridge door, the temperature change will spoil dairy faster than you'd like.
- Store leftovers in airtight, see-through containers. Airtight containers will inhibit the growth of bacteria, while a see-through container will discourage you from taking the food out frequently to see what's inside.
- Separate fruits and vegetables. Certain fruits, like apples, give off gasses that ripen other fruits and vegetables faster. You do not need to refrigerate onions, garlic or potatoes. Store those vegetables in a dry place such as a pantry.
- Don't wash fruits and vegetables before refrigerating. The dampness can encourage bacterial growth and faster spoiling.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Servicesencourages you to follow three key food safety rules:
- Clean your work space, cutting boards, fruits and vegetables.
- Separate items and don't cross contaminate.
- Cook to the right temperature.
How to keep your refrigerator at its cleanest
- Eliminate odors naturally.Mix two tablespoons of baking soda in one quart of hot water and wipe the inside walls, shelves and drawers. Dry with a clean cloth.
- Organize vegetables, fruits and condiments by using plastic bins and baskets. These are easier to clean.
- Line the shelves with easy-to-clean mats. Wash the mats with soap and water and dry thoroughly before placing them back on the fridge shelf. You can also cover the shelves with cling wrap, but be sure to change the cling wrap often.
- Use a lazy Susan.This way you won't forget about the jar of mustard or half-full curry sauce jar that was accidentally pushed to the back.
- Purchase a plastic egg holder.It will help maximize space so you can place items on top of it.
If you are concerned about the way your fridge is arranged or overwhelmed by how dirty it is, contact an Atlanta-area cleaning service to take a look. They will be able to assist you in many ways and give personalized tips to keep your fridge looking its best.