If you suffer from migraine headaches, you know how excruciating and debilitating they can be. The pain appears out of the blue and is difficult to treat, leaving you frustrated. However, by avoiding certain triggers and treating your throbbing head using a few specific techniques, you can successfully ward off your migraines. It is always a good idea to talk to your Atlanta-area doctor before starting or changing your treatments, even if it is as simple as avoiding certain foods.
You may not realize it, but certain foods, such as cheese, chocolate (especially dark chocolate) and caffeine, could be triggering your migraines. In addition, skipping meals, dehydration and exhaustion can also bring on those painful headaches. Avoid foods that trigger migraines and make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep, drinking plenty of water and eating regularly.
Treatment for migraines
Your specific treatment plan will depend on the severity and cause of your migraines. The most effective treatment for these severe headaches can include:
- taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication to help reduce inflammation and pain
- laying down with the lights off and your eyes covered with a damp cloth
- applying a cold pack to your head and other areas of pain
- inhaling certain essential oils for migraines, such as lavender, rosemary or jasmine
- taking prescription medications designed to treat migraines, such as triptans and ergotamines
Prescription medications for migraines may cause unwanted side effects, so make sure to consult with your Atlanta-area doctor about whether this type of treatment is right for you.