Although you probably would rather not deal with it, at some point you may have to think about window replacement for your beautiful Atlanta home. Sometimes, it is not so apparent when your home needs new windows. Obvious signs that you need replacement windows include broken or cracked glass and windows that will not open or shut. However, there are a few not-so-clear signs that you should think about getting your windows replaced:
- Your house may feel overly warm in the summer, or it may take a long time for your air conditioning to fully cool down the house.
- In the winter, your home may feel drafty, or it may take too long for the heater to warm the house.
- Heating and cooling bills continue to increase over the years.
- Your windows require a lot of maintenance due to frequent re-caulking, painting and cleaning done either on your own or through a trusted Atlanta window repair company.
- Your windows look outdated, always dirty and as though they don't belong with the rest of the house.
- You are moving and need to sell your home. Older homes may need new windows to increase the resale value.
Once you have decided to replace your windows, you need to make sure you are getting the best quality for your hard-earned money. No one wants to waste their money on expensive repairs that never last! Here are some of the best tips to make sure your new windows will get you the most bang for your buck:
- Go for vinyl. Window replacement professionals agree that windows with vinyl frames and sashes are the most cost-efficient, durable and visually pleasing choice.
- Spend the extra money on windows that are custom-made or custom-fitted. Yes, it is more costly, but windows that fit perfectly in the space guarantee lower energy bills and better protection from the outside weather.
- Find windows that have energy-efficient additions. This helps to keep the inside of your home more comfortable throughout the year and helps keep bills down. A professional should be able to inform you on the best brands available for your budget.
- Find functional shutters. The hot Atlanta summers and occasional severe storms make it beneficial to have shutters that actually close to protect your windows and your home from the elements. With all the designs available, you can find a ton that would work perfectly with your home.