How much do new kitchen cabinets cost?
The kitchen is one area that many homeowners eventually remodel, hoping to improve the room's aesthetics and the home's resale value with such an undertaking.
Cabinets are one of the main focal points of a kitchen. When the cabinets become outdated, or there is a need to make better use of the space, homeowners are faced with the decision of whether to reface them or replace them
Although refacing cabinets might be a lower-cost option, replacing your existing cabinets with brand new cabinets will give your kitchen a completely updated look-and-feel.
A rule of thumb: You should allot about 50 percent of your kitchen renovation budget for your new cabinets.
Some examples of cabinet types include:
- Stock (cheapest)
- Semi-Custom (mid-range)
- Custom (most expensive)
Typical Costs for Replacing Stock Kitchen Cabinets
- Low-End Estimate: $2,500
- High-End Estimate: $5,000
All cabinet replacement decisions begin with the determination of cabinet type, cabinet material, cabinet style, and cabinet finish.
Check out home improvement stores and online photo galleries of cabinet installers to see the multitude of cabinets available on the market.
Most stock cabinets use particle board material, making them an economical choice for many homeowners.
Typical Costs for Replacing Semi-Custom/Custom Kitchen Cabinets (Professional Services)
- Low-End Estimate: $5,000
- High-End Estimate: $20,000 +
Solid wood cabinets can cost $50,000 or more.
Professionals determine price using a variety of standards: linear feet of the cabinets; a percentage of the cabinet price; a flat-rate per cabinet; or an hourly rate. They also take into consideration the difficulty of the job, based on the complexity of the drawer/cabinet combinations and the working space for the installation.
Solid-wood cabinets are priced substantially higher than particle board or veneer. However, keep in mind that some cabinets advertised as ?solid wood? are usually an engineered wood material covered with a popular veneer such as maple, oak, or cherry. Ask your installer to discuss these differences with you.
Additional Costs for Replacing Kitchen Cabinets (Professional Services)
- Applying Glaze Treatments to Kitchen Cabinets
Low-End Estimate: $50 per cabinet door/drawer
High-End Estimate: $100 per cabinet door/drawer
- Installing Decorative Knobs
Low-End Estimate: $0.60 per knob
High-End Estimate: $21.70 per knob
What to Expect from Kitchen Cabinet Installation Services
- Discuss your needs with the installer regarding cabinet type, material, style, and finish. See this Kudzu video on how to decide on new cabinets.
- The installer will set up an appointment to see the existing cabinetry that needs to be removed and assess the difficulty of replacing cabinets in the provided kitchen space.
- Once the new cabinets are delivered to your home, it will take the installers about 1-2 days to complete the job (longer if it's a difficult installation) of removing the old cabinets and replacing the new ones. If you are having more things done — for example, appliance replacement, countertop replacement, and so on — then expect to be without your kitchen for possibly 2-3 weeks.
- After the installation is complete, the installer will conduct a final inspection of the new kitchen cabinets to ensure you are satisfied with the work. Ask any questions you may have about proper care and maintenance for your new kitchen cabinets, as well as all product and service warranties.
Enjoy this article? Sign up for our free newsletters: