How much does granite flooring cost?
Typical Granite Floor Costs
- Granite tiles: Granite tiles typically cost from $2 to $15 per square foot.
- Premium granite tiles: Premium granite tiles cost approximately $25 to $50 per square foot.
- Installation costs: Professional installation of granite tile floors can cost from $4 to $20 per square foot, depending upon the type of tiles and overall room size.
Low-End Estimate for a Granite Floor
- For granite tile flooring for a standard bathroom or entryway with do-it-yourself installation: About $200-$750.
High-End Estimate for a Granite Floor
- For premium granite tile flooring for a standard bathroom or entryway with professional installation: About $2,500-$5,000.
What to Expect
- Materials: The materials needed for the installation of a granite floor include the granite tiles, wet saw, drill, galvanized all-purpose screws, hammer, nails, straight board, straightedge, circular saw, measuring tape, grout, trowel, thin-set mortar adhesive, and sealant.
- Timing: Installing a granite floor typically takes about two days, which includes drying time.
- Mess: Care should be taken during the installation of the granite floor to ensure that adhesive, grout, and sealant are properly applied and that there is no related spillage or mess. Unless old tiles require disposal, there should be little mess.
More about Granite
- There are several types of finish available for granite flooring. Polished granite has a shiny surface and works best for low traffic areas. Honed granite has a matte finish and works well for high traffic or commercial settings. Brushed granite is textured and works best for outdoors. Flamed granite is also textured and can work for indoor or outdoor flooring.
- When preparing to install granite tiles, it is important to allow them to adjust to the interior temperature of the home. Granite can change color slightly with temperature variations and this will allow you to verify that the tiles are the correct color for the room where they will be placed.
Granite is a type of natural stone that is durable and long lasting, providing an ideal flooring material. Available in a range of colors and textures, granite tiles can give an elegant look to any interior or exterior floor area.
ENJOY THIS ARTICLE? Sign up for our free newsletters.