How much does it cost to add an electrical outlet?
Typical Costs of Adding an Electrical Outlet
- Standard 120-volt outlets: It will cost approximately $100 to install a 120-volt outlet off of a nearby circuit. Installing a new 120-volt circuit on an electrical panel will run you about $185.
- GFCI outlets: About $120 (Areas that are more prone to moisture buildup like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms need ground fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, outlets.)
- Heavy-duty 220 or 240-volt outlets: $300 or more for an outlet running off of a nearby outlet; $600 or more to upgrade the existing panel, which includes adding a 220 to 240 volt circuit, running the conduit, and installing a new receptacle.
Low-End Estimate for Adding an Electrical Outlet
High-End Estimate for Adding an Electrical Outlet
What to Expect from Electrical Outlet Installation
- Materials: Outlet, electrical wire, outlet cover, electrician's screwdrivers, wire nuts, outlet box
- Timing: A licensed electrician typically needs only an hour or two to install a new electrical outlet. If additional space is needed in the circuit main or if a sub-panel needs to be added, that can add substantial time.
- Mess: Not much, really. There's typically only some plastic, paper, wire, and packaging for the new outlet that's easily picked up by hand.
Any Extra Costs When Installing Electrical Outlets?
- Tamper-resistant outlets: For additional child safety, many outlets offer built-in, tamper-resistant features, which usually cost about $5 more than a non-tamper-resistant outlet.
- Three-way switches: It will cost about $60 to $70 to add a set of three-way switches, which includes wiring, two switches, and an outlet box.
- Designer switch plates: If you want to add a stylish look to your new outlet, you can expect to pay $5 - $20 or more for a specialty switch plate.
- Sub-panel addition: If your existing circuit panel can't accommodate the new electrical outlet, you may need to have a master electrician install a sub-panel to add space, which can cost $1,500-$2,500.
Need more places to plug in? Need to bring your electrical circuits up to code? Whether you're adding an electrical outlet to an existing finished space, upgrading an outlet for a more robust use, or adding outlets to unfinished space, there are a variety of costs you should take into consideration.
ENJOY THIS ARTICLE? Sign up for our free newsletters.