Typical Long Distance Move Costs
- Mover costs: The average cost for a long distance move is in the range of $6 per square foot of residential space to be moved. The Federal Citizen Information Center says interstate movers set the cost according to the weight of your belongings and the distance they are shipped, plus the amount of packing and other services that you require. The center advises consumers to help movers correctly estimate the cost by showing them every item to be moved. Anything missed during the estimate will affect the final cost.
- Packing & unpacking services: The costs for packing and unpacking services are typically included in pricing for a long distance move.
- Insurance: Insurance to cover furniture and other items transported during a long distance move typically costs around $5-$10 per every $1,000 of value.
- Considering a self-move? The American Moving & Storage Association offers this self-move calculator.
- Find recommended moving companies on Kudzu.
Low-End Estimate for Long Distance Move
For a cross-country move for a one bedroom apartment: About $2,500-$5,000.
High-End Estimate for Long Distance Move
For a cross-country move for a three-bedroom house: About $7,500-$10,000.
What to Expect
- Materials: The materials needed for a long distance move include bubble tape, boxes, drop cloths, packing tape, labels, a dolly or rolling cart, and, if necessary, tools to help with disassembly of certain furniture pieces and items.
- Timing: Long distance moves can take several days or longer depending upon the distanced traveled, along with the volume of work needed for packing, loading, unloading and unpacking.
- For long distance moves, additional fees may be applied for specialty items such as pianos (typically costing $200-$450); plasma and big screen televisions; and sculptures and other types of art. It is important to discuss fees for these items with the moving company prior to the actual move date.
- The standard tip rate for long distance movers is $15 for every 1,000 pounds transported.
- Some moving companies offer a discount for AAA, AARP, or other membership-based organizations. The standard discount for AAA is 10%.