Refacing your kitchen cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to replacing kitchen cabinets. If cabinets are scratched, damaged, or just need a makeover, refacing can make them look like new.
Typical Kitchen Cabinet Refacing Costs
- Kitchen cabinet refacing: The average cost range for kitchen cabinet refacing is $500-$2,000.
- Hardware replacement: Knobs, pulls, and other hardware for cabinets can range from $2-$5 per piece for basic options to $20-$50 per piece for custom or ornate hardware.
- Find local recommended cabinet makers on Kudzu.
Low-End Estimate for Kitchen Cabinet Refacing
- For do-it-yourself cabinet refacing: About $50-$200.
High-End Estimate for Kitchen Cabinet Refacing
- For high-quality wood veneer refacing: About $7,000-$9,000.
What to Expect
- Materials: Kitchen cabinet refacing requires an assortment of materials including a cleaner or solvent, sandpaper, brushes, rollers, blades, primer, and the coating (laminate, paint, or a similar material).
- Timing: Refacing for kitchen cabinets will typically take several days since there are multiple coats of primer, veneer, and/or paint that you'll need to apply and let dry before you begin the next step.
- Mess: Kitchen cabinet refacing can be a messy process. To minimize clean up, cover surfaces in the area in case any spillage or drips occur.
- As an alternative to refacing, open shelving provides another option for changing the look and feel of pre-existing cabinets. This process requires removal of the cabinet doors and can require refinishing of the interior area.
- Primer is available in both brush-on and spray-on formats. The spray primer can help save time and decrease the mess associated with painting your kitchen cabinets.