How much does it cost to rent a dumpster?
If you're undertaking a landscaping or home remodeling project, you may want to consider renting a dumpster. Renting a dumpster can be a great alternative to hauling away a large amount of trash yourself or to paying a service to pick the trash up for you.
Typical Dumpster Rental Costs:
The cost to rent a dumpster varies based on the size of the dumpster, the number of days you rent it, and even the maximum weight limit. You can be looking at anywhere from $80 to $500 for a dumpster rental.
Low-End Dumpster Rental Cost Estimate:
- If you only need a small dumpster (1-10 cubic yards) for a short period, a day or two, you can expect to pay less than $100 to rent one.
High-End Dumpster Rental Cost Estimate:
- If you need a large (10-40 cubic yards) dumpster for more than a week, you could pay as much as $500 or more.
What To Expect:
- There are two main types of dumpsters available for rent - roll-off dumpsters and front-loading dumpsters.
A roll-off dumpster is simply an open-topped dumpster that is rolled off a truck onto your property. Roll-off dumpsters generally have a capacity ranging from 10 to 40 cubic yards, and they're ideal for temporary needs.
A front-loading dumpster comes with a lid and is generally smaller than the roll-off type, ranging from 1 to 10 cubic yards in capacity. Front-loading dumpsters are ideal if you have regular trash pick-up needs.
- You may not be permitted to put tires, batteries, old electronics, and other hazardous waste in your dumpster, and there may be an additional fee for these items. However, any recyclable waste such as newspapers, plastic bottles, and other similar items generally cost less than standard non-recyclable waste.
- Depending on the type of dumpster you rent, there may be a maximum weight limit on the waste you put in it. If you exceed that weight limit, you can end up being charged an additional fee. Some waste material, such as drywall, may be much heavier than others materials.
- You may want to have your dumpster emptied on a particular schedule that is convenient for you - make sure that the dumpster rental company can accommodate this.
- There may be additional charges for keeping the dumpster longer - averaging $25-$50 per day.
- In addition to the dumpster rental, there may be an additional fee to haul away and dispose of the waste that is not included in the rental. Charges for disposal can vary widely - $15 to $350 or more, depending on the amount and type of waste.
- Depending on where you live, your city or county might require you to have a permit for a dumpster to be placed on your property.
Enjoy this article? Sign up for our free newsletters: