"A lot of customers get panicked over a foundation problem because they think it's going to be a $10,000 to $20,000 repair, but many problems can be resolved for under $5,000," says Jonathan H. Maguire, systems engineer at Atlas Piers of Atlanta.
Typical Foundation Repair Costs
- Inspection:The average cost for an inspection and report from a structural engineer is about $350 to $500.If a soil report is required, the fee could be as high as $1,500.
- Repair for cracks: Most crack repairs typically cost $300 to $500 each, but could vary depending on the size of the cracks and how many cracks need to be repaired.
- Reinforcing a foundation with a crawlspace by adding support piers: $400 to $2,500.
- Underpinning: $900 to $1,400 per pier. The most common type used is the steel pier. The depth of the piers could affect price.
- Slabjacking: This is an economical solution typically used for sidewalks, driveways and swimming pool decks. Jobs average from $500 to $800.
- Pressure Grouting: The pumping of grout, through a pipe, typically 6 to 10 feet into the soil below a home or garage slab. Homeowners are charged a daily rate of up to $1,500 per day and a rate of $9 to $15 per cubic foot of grout. A typical garage takes about two days to pressure grout and requires 200 to 300 cubic feet of grout. So, prices for a typical pressure grouting job for a 20' x 20' garage could fall between $5,000 and $7,000. But, prices could vary in different parts of the country.
What to Expect
- Materials: Depending upon the extent of the damage, heavy-duty professional equipment may be required for this type of repair. Simple foundation cracks and damage can be repaired using materials including concrete grout and cement stain.
- Timing: Foundation repair can take a matter of days or weeks depending upon the extent of the damage. An inspection or soil report may be required prior to the commencement of work.
- Mess: The process of repair for a foundation and the surrounding soil areas and landscape can involve significant mess. If you're concerned about landscaping being damaged during the repair, ask whether the replacement of the landscaping is included the proposal.
- A building or renovation permit may be required for a foundation repair project in certain parts of the country.Since it may take time to acquire this permit, it is important to research local requirements and guidelines when planning for the repair.
- In cases of extreme foundation damage, the repair is best left to a professional.If the damage is minimal, it is possible to handle the repair as a do-it-yourself project. However, it is recommended that an inspection be done prior to any work to ensure that there is no hidden damage.