How much does it cost to wallpaper a home?
Typical Wallpaper Costs
- Standard wallpaper: Basic wallpaper typically costs $15-$40 per roll.
- Designer wallpaper: Designer wallpaper costs range from approximately $30 to $250 or more per roll.
- Murals: Pricing for wall murals typically ranges from $200 on up depending upon the size/number of panels, design, and subject matter.
- Installation: Professional paper installation companies charge in the range of $25-$75 per roll to install wallpaper.
Low-End Estimate for Wallpaper
For standard wallpaper with DIY installation: About $18-$47 per roll.
High-End Estimate for Wallpaper
For designer wallpaper with professional installation: About $55-$325 per roll.
What to Expect
- Materials: The materials needed for standard wallpaper installation include acrylic primer, adhesive paste, a roller, a soft-bristle wallpaper brush, straightedge, utility knife, and caulk.
- Timing: The amount of time required for installing wallpaper depends upon the size of the room or total number of rolls to be applied to the walls. For a standard 16x20 room, a wallpapering project should take approximately one day.
- Mess: The process of installing wallpaper can create mess since there are several liquid components required. Precautions should be taken to cover surfaces in close proximity to the walls to avoid splatters or spills. If excess pieces of wallpaper are removed as part of the process, disposal may be necessary.
Other Helpful Tips
- Vinyl wallpaper can help create an extravagant look for a fraction of the price of many ornate, designer styles. Vinyl options that mimic the look of natural, metallic, textured or other high-end styles are available and can barely be distinguished from the real thing.
- Even if wallpaper is pre-pasted, additional adhesive will typically be required for installation.
- Wallpaper should never be placed in direct contact with newspaper. The ink from the newspaper can easily smudge and may react with the ink used in the wallpaper.
Instead of painting your entire home, why not try adding wall paper to a room or two? Wallpaper comes in a variety of colors, styles, and textures to add a custom look to your home.