Natural stone flooring options include granite, marble, travertine, limestone, and slate. There are numerous styles, colors, and sizes in natural stone flooring — any of which can provide a beautiful flooring option.
Find a flooring installer on Kudzu.
Typical Stone Floor Costs
- Granite tiles: Granite tiles typically cost from $15 to $30 per square foot for materials and labor.
- Marble tiles: Marble tile costs range from approximately $15-$30 per square foot for materials and labor.
- Travertine/limestone/slate tiles: Travertine, limestone or slate tiles typically cost from $15 to $30 per square foot for materials and labor.
- Removal of existing carpet usually is included in the cost of flooring installation, but those price ranges don't include the removal of other existing flooring or any needed repairs to subflooring, which could require help from a specialty service pro.
- Natural stone prices vary based on availability. Some of the more exotic stones could cost more because they are shipped from farther away.
What to Expect
- Timing: Since there is drying time involved as part of the process, a stone flooring installation project typically takes about two days. But, a flooring project in a 10' x 10' room that includes tearing out existing flooring, for example, could take up to 5 days.
- Mess: Unless old tiles require disposal, there is little mess. However, homeowners can expect some dust created during the stone laying process.
- Most natural stone floors require several coats of sealant when first installed along with periodic reapplication of sealant.