Here's the top five secrets to keep your home company-ready.
- Keep dirt out.
- Put mats at all your doors.
- Take off shoes when you enter the house.
- Designate a mud room or space for the removal of sporting equipment or wiping of dog paws.
- Bust the clutter.
- Clutter attracts dust. Minimize knick-knacks.
- Use baskets or small bins to store magazines, mail or other items.
- Get it in shape once a season.
- Designate a few hours, blitz through the house vacuuming, washing, dusting, organizing, and sit back and revel in your accomplishment.
- Hire a professional. Check out these housecleaning services, personal organizers and party planners.
- Keep it spiffy in a jiffy.
Once your home is in good shape, keeping it looking company-ready only takes a few minutes a day.
- Make everyone in the house help.
- Set the oven clock for fifteen minutes.
- Put things away. Mop the kitchen floor. Quick-clean the bathrooms, make the beds, run a quick vacuum, twirl around with a duster, spray the kitchen counters and load the dishwasher.
- Add another five minutes and you've knocked out your 20-minutes of aerobic activity a day as well.
- Let go and live.
Life's messy. Live it. Love it. Learn to let go a bit. Want your house to be company ready? It probably looks better than you think. Who wouldn't want to walk in on life-in-action? Keep easy-to-serve food handy and just about everyone will overlook the rest.