Awnings are a great way to create a comfortable, shaded space for most outdoor areas of your home, especially decks and porches. Awnings jazz up the look of your home while adding resale value as well. The cost of putting in an awning is significantly cheaper for adding additional space than if you paid for a major construction project like a covered porch. Awnings will help on your cooling bill as well. According to the California Energy Commission, about 40 percent of the unwanted heat that builds up in your house comes in through windows. By installing an awning, you can reduce significantly the heat gain in your home by blocking out sunlight.
Other benefits of awnings include:
- Protecting your outdoor furniture from fading
- Easily keeping rain off your spaces designated for cars, hot tubs, and outdoor furniture
Be sure to keep in mind that the costs of awnings vary greatly depending on your needs and specifications because most are custom built for your space. Some of the main factors that can make your price vary are things such as style, size, materials, fabric selections, and type of installation. You may need to consider hiring a handyman or carpenter to handle the installation if you choose not to do it yourself, as many awning retailers simply sell the awnings but provide no installation services. If your awning has to be shipped, you may be charged for orders less than $1,000.
Find awning & canopy pros on Kudzu.
Typical Metal Awnings Costs
- Low-End Estimate: $7 per square foot
- High-End Estimate: $10 per square foot
Metal awnings can be built of iron (most expensive and heaviest), aluminum (cheapest and most common), or copper (most durable).
An example price for a 60” metal awning with a 54” projection over a 20” wide door would be about $550.
Typical Costs for Manual Retractable Fabric Awnings
- Low-End Estimate: $550
- High-End Estimate: $6,500
These prices are only the manual retractable fabric awnings. Motors for awnings (including the installation and wiring) will cost more.
Additional Costs for Awnings
Hiring a Handyman to Provide Installation Services
Low-End Estimate: $50 per hour
High-End Estimate: $75 per hour
Motors for Retractable Awnings
Low-End Estimate: $75
High-End Estimate: $150
Awning Side Curtains
Low-End Estimate: $150
High-End Estimate: $250
What to Expect from Awning Installation Services
Professional awning installers will:
- Install the awning next to the designated wall.
- Determine where to install the brackets. The brackets will have to be spaced out properly as determined by the wall studs.
- Make sure all brackets are in line and level in order for the unit to fit freely in the brackets.
- Set the awning into the brackets and lock in with the t-nut and bolt.