Kitchen countertops are available in a wide range of styles, sizes, and materials.
Options for materials include wood, granite, concrete, quartz, and natural stone. When planning a kitchen countertop installation project, it is important to identify requirements related to sizing, functionality, and dècor.
Typical Kitchen Countertop Costs
- Kitchen countertop installation: The cost for installation is frequently included in the purchase price for kitchen countertops.If this is not the case, the installation cost will typically range from $200-$1,000 based upon the size and specifications of the countertops.
- Laminate countertops: Laminate countertops typically cost from $10 to $50 per square foot. See this video on whether to repair or replace.
- Tile countertops: The cost range for tile countertops is $10-50 per square foot.
- Stainless steel countertops: Stainless steel countertops typically cost from $75 to $210 per square foot.
- Quartz, granite, resin & natural stone countertops: The cost range for stone countertops is $5-$150 per square foot.
- Wood & Butcher Block countertops: Wood or Butcher Block countertops typically cost from $30 to $110 per square foot.
Low-End Estimate for Kitchen Countertop Do-It-Yourself InstallationFor laminate countertops: About $125-$350 for materials and supplies, depending on the size of the countertop.
High-End Estimate for Kitchen Countertop Professional InstallationFor specialty material countertops: About $2,500-$6,000, depending on the size of the countertop.
What to Expect
- Materials: Kitchen countertop installation requires an assortment of tools to assist with cutting, shaping, and placement. Necessary tools and materials include a splitter, brushes, contact cement, a router, and a laminate bit.
- Timing: A kitchen countertop installation project can take several days.
- Mess: Since kitchen countertop installation includes use of a bonding adhesive and may require drilling and leveling, there can be a large mess. When you have countertop replaced, you?ll need to arrange for disposal of the old countertop.
- Some kitchen countertops require ongoing maintenance and specialized cleaning. Concrete, wood, and granite countertops need periodic waxing, oiling, or resealing.
- Since there are many options for kitchen layouts related to placement of sinks, appliances, and other elements, it may be necessary to buy kitchen countertops that are custom-shaped to the specifications of the room.
- Butcher Block counters are both popular and functional. They function as a standard kitchen surface and also as a cutting board.