Has everyone in your home come down with flu-like symptoms within a few hours of one another? This telltale sign of carbon monoxide poisoning may be the only indicator of exposure to the odorless, tasteless gas.
Start by getting out of the home, and then ask a neighbor or friend to drive you to the emergency room of the nearest Atlanta-area hospital or clinic. Carbon monoxide leaks can cause nausea, dizziness, fatigue, eye irritation, and headaches.
Unfortunately, several home appliances produce carbon monoxide as a byproduct of burning gas. These include gas furnaces, gas-powered water heaters, charcoal grills and gas stoves.
"The most important thing you can do to protect your family is make sure all of your home appliances are in good working order and your chimney and fireplace is regularly inspected for proper operation. Have regular service on all gas appliances. Gas furnaces rust out from routine usage causing a huge potential for problems if not checked on a regular basis," Dan Jape, CEO of Reliable Heating & Air in Atlanta, advises in his company blog post "Carbon Monoxide the 'Silent Killer'".
In addition to installing carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, it's best to have gas-powered appliances maintenanced regularly to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
Jape reminds Atlantans in his post, "Make sure the flue on your furnace and water heater is in good shape and has a proper draft. Make sure you have good exhaust and ventilation if you have a gas cook top or stove. Never use an unvented space heater in a tight room or a bedroom and avoid using at all if possible."
Have you had your heating and cooling system or water heater maintenanced lately? Give Reliable Heating & Air a call today to inspect your appliances for proper ventilation and carbon monoxide leaks.