Have you been feeling increasingly tired, irritable and frustrated? If you are a woman in your late 40s to early 50s, you could be experiencing signs of menopause. When you go through menopause, hormone levels change, causing you to feel different in many ways. If left to progress naturally, long-term hormone loss can cause women to age faster than they would if they receive hormone replacement therapy (HRT), leading to an increase in wrinkled skin, fragile bones and gray hair.
Some of the symptoms of a hormone imbalance can include:
- dry, rough skin that feels more sensitive and delicate
- an erratic or absent menstrual cycle
- hot flashes and sweating during the night
- vaginal dryness and an increase in yeast infections
- eyebrows that appear thin or absent along the outside edges
- chronic headaches and migraines
If you experience any of these symptoms, talk to your local Atlanta OB/GYN about hormone replacement therapy. By taking replacement hormones, many women experience a lessening of their symptoms to the point where they feel like they did when they were younger: rested, energized and joyful. However, it is important to talk to your OB/GYN about the pros and cons of taking HRT.
Possible pros for taking hormone replacement therapy:
- an increase in bone strength and a reduced risk of developing osteoporosis
- a reduced risk of colon and rectal cancers
- a reduced risk of macular degeneration, an age-related condition that can cause blindness
Possible cons against taking hormone replacement therapy:
- tender breasts
- an increased risk of a stroke or heart attack
- an increased risk of breast cancer
Make sure that your OB/GYN gives you a thorough physical examination and runs a full course of blood work to rule out any other similar conditions before starting hormone therapy. You do not want to take additional hormones if your body does not need them. Get help finding the right Atlanta OB/GYN for you at Kudzu.