When you are looking to make over your smile, creating a brighter and more uniform appearance, veneers are one dental treatment that can work wonders. There are things that the consumer should know about this dental procedure, including its pros and cons, prior to sliding into the dentist chair.
There are many pluses to having this dental procedure done. Some highlights include the following:
- Veneers are porcelain and are very difficult to get stained, making them a plus for those who smoke, drink coffee or tea or have a predisposed tendency for stained teeth.
- They are durable and strong, despite their thinness. Their strength can help make your own teeth even stronger than before the procedure.
- The procedure can be done in three hours and is typically broken down into two separate appointments.
- They last for an average of 10 to 15 years.
- They have little to no additional maintenance once they are put onto your existing teeth.
There are also a few disadvantages to having this done, which include the following:
- Your teeth will be changed and you will have to adjust to this. While they will be better in appearance, the size, shape, and spacing of them will have been altered.
- There may be a need to have more teeth extracted that what is normal. You'll need to talk to your dentist about whether this will be the case or not.
- They are not natural teeth and you will have a bit of variance on the color between them.
- They may make your teeth more sensitive than they were previously. Or, if you have sensitive teeth already, they may make your teeth even more so.
Atlanta-area dentists can give you all your smile options, along with the latest information. This will give you all the information you need to make the best informed choice for your teeth. Asking your dentist your questions can put your mind at ease.